Reclaiming travel costs

Patients who are not eligbile for Medical Non-Emergency Transport may be able to claim a refund for travel costs under the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme (HTCS). This covers reasonable costs of travelling to hospital or other NHS premises for NHS-funded treatment or diagnostic tests arranged by a doctor or dentist. To be eligible, the patient must be on a low income or in receipt of qualifying benefits; and be unable to get a friend or relative to take them.

Further details can be found on the NHS England website.

As a general rule your reimbursement should be made by the hospital where you have attended for treatment. However, where this is not possible, an HC5 form should be completed and sent together with your travel receipts to:

NHS Business Services Authority, Bridge House, 152 Pilgrim Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne NE1 6SN.

You can make a postal claim up to three months after your appointment has taken place.